Damaged. Marks of exposure to water on the bottom half of all folios; ink corrosion on most folios (excepting fols. 13-27).
Covers of light-brown blind-tooled leather over boards. Manuscript rebound 1937-1941, obscuring its original structure. The manuscript had originally parchment covers.
ii + 92 + ii; modern pencil foliation 1-91; unnumbered folio between fols. 69 and 70 now numbered 70A. Missing folios: at least 2 at the beginning of the manuscript; 3 between fols. 55 and 56; and 1 more between fols. 70 and 71.
Unclear. Original order of pieces disrupted with modern re-binding; structure of book concealed with binding process.
4 Paper types; 3 watermarks, 1 watermark on paper 3 similar to marks on MM 37 and MM 44 (paper 8) (cf Rees 1995: 159, 369 & 386).
Choirbook format. 545 x 400-05 mm
Type of script:
Type of notation:
Calligraphic or pen-work initials on fols. 6r, 13v-14v, 16v (in red, tenor part), 21v-22r (alternating black and red), 25v (in red, tenor part), 26v (in red, tenor part), 40v, 42r (altus part), 42v (cantus part), 43v-44r, 45v, 49v, 51v, 53v-55r, 60v, 87r, 87v-88r, 88v (in red), 89v-91v; banderole initials on fols. 28v-29r; small zoomorphic initial on fol. 7v (tenor part).
Inscriptions and marks:
No original inscriptions or marks.
Six original scribes; additions, mostly chant, by a variety of different scribes. One of the original six scribes also copied the chant book P-Cug MM 37. The formal type of notation and copying habits connect MM 6 with P-Cug MM 9 and MM 12. Luis Moran’s Magnificat at fols. 40v-45r apparently served as direct exemplar for P-Cug MM 32, fols. 75v-81r. The Salve regina setting on fols. 82v-86r may be attributed to Heliodoro de Paiva on stylistic grounds (see Rees, p. 159); folios in this piece are out of order because of the modern rebinding of the manuscript.
RIBEIRO, Mário de Sampayo, Os manuscritos musicais nos 6 e 12 da Biblioteca Geral da Universidade de Coimbra. Achegas para a história da música em Portugal 5, Coimbra, 1941
REES, Owen, Polyphony in Portugal c. 1530 – c. 1620. Sources from the Monastery of Santa Cruz, Coimbra, New York & London / Garland, 1995, pp. 155-60, 369 & 386.