P-Cug (Coimbra) Biblioteca Geral da Universidade MM 1063 (77)
Ar: top left corner, "26", "a/ ". Bottom margin, in pencil: "Antifonario franciscano / Oficio de Santa Clara / e de S. Antonio de Lisboa / sec. XIII (poster. à 1255)".
Av: "RODR / IGO:" added in ink near the top.
Br: top left corner, "c/".
Bv: "Do Pe. Giraldo" later written upside down with black ink.
Cr: top left corner, "3//" in ink, cancelled in pencil with number 1. Bottom margin: "Antifonário — Véspera de Sta. Clara / Oficio de Sto. Antonio — é franciscano / Segunda metade do séc. XIII. / Está escrito em versos rítmicos latinos / É a 2ª parte do Ofício de Sto. António" recently added and written in pencil.
Cv: top left corner, "f/".
Dr: Some late illegible scrawls.
Dv: top left corner, "h/".
Many library stamps.
This is a rare example of a manuscript with Franciscan content copied with Aquitanian neumes (of the Portuguese variety), a notational translation of the original; since the Office of St. Clare dates from the final years of the 13th century, it was probably made not long after as a supplement to a preexisting antiphoner. The fact that it does not use square notation on staff precludes its origin in a male Franciscan convent; it may have been written by a chaplain trained in a secular religious environment and attached to, or working for a female convent. The most likely candidate is the Convent of Saint Clare in Coimbra, founded in 1283 by Dona Mor Dias and re-founded in 1314 by the Queen consort Elizabeth.
CORBIN, Solange, Essai sur la musique réligieuse portugaise au Moyen Age (1100-1385) (Paris, Les Belles Lettres, 1952).